Sunday, September 16, 2007

Child Dedication

Today we did child dedication at church. As a mother and follower of Christ, I feel that it is so important to stand before the Lord and tell Him that I will raise my girls to love Him. I view them as a gift that God has entrusted me with until He decides to bring them home. I treasure my children with all I have and I hope that I am the mother that God wants me to be. I know that I make mistakes daily but every day is a new beginning, full of potential.

Today, as my huband is standing in front of the congregation, with tears rolling down his face and voice shakey as he, too, is struck by the emotion of how precious our children are, I thanked God for my family. I stood before the church as my husband and pastor spoke to each of the other families and wondered how I was going to make it through all of this and ever thankful that I have a partner to help weather the storms of parenting.

You never know how much your child is learning. Kaylee daily surprises me on how much she does understand. Kaylee stood at the dining room table this afternoon with her new Bible and she had carefully taken 3 crosses off of the wall. I paid little attention at first. Kaylee waited patiently to take the floor as other adult conversation was going on. I finally said, "Kaylee, it's your turn what would you like to add?" And she sweetly says," This is a story about our Lord Jesus Christ who loved us so much that he died for our sins. There were three crosses, Jesus in the middle and one on each side. Jesus died on the cross for my sins and rose again on the third day. And they all lived happily ever after." I looked at Phillip and cried again.

One of the things Phillip preached on today was that Jesus wanted the children to come to Him, because we should all have a child-like faith. He went through the statistics of when children make a profession of faith and the highest percentage is between 5-13. Why can't we have that faith? Why do we complicate it so? "Lord, help me to have the faith that my child has. Help me to not let Me stand in the way of who you want me to be."

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You are so right and I am right there with you. Sometimes I feel inadequate as a mom, but the Lord has called me to this and only by His grace and incomparably great power can I do it. Man, I miss sharing hearts like we used to do so long ago. Seems like we wouldn't have enough time to talk about everything on our hearts because children take up so much of it. I love you!

My Blessings

My Blessings

Counter